Dragon fruit prices at Chợ Gạo Dragon Fruit Co-operative in the southern province of Tiền Giang are increasing sharply during the Christmas period, bringing profits for farmers.
Nguyễn Văn Long, a dragon fruit grower in Chợ Gạo District, said red flesh dragon fruit prices are around VNĐ40,000 per kilo (US$1.7), some three to four times higher than in October, when dragon fruit prices hit rock bottom.
Dragon fruit is not in season, therefore high demand is pushing up the price, Long added.
Dragon fruit prices in Tiền Giang Province are soaring. — Photo vfa.gov.vn
According to Cao Văn Hóa, deputy director of Tiền Giang’s Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, dragon fruit is identified as one of the specialities of the locality. The province now has more than 6,000ha of dragon fruit orchards, producing an annual output of hundreds of thousands of tonnes of fruits.
Chợ Gạo District is the biggest plantation area in the province with about 5,400ha; of which more than 4,600ha are fruit-bearing, the annual output is over 100,000 tonnes.
Recently, in order to promote its economic potential, the locality has scaled up agricultural production, applying intensive farming technology in line with VietGAP, GlobalGAP standards to avoid decreasing prices and increase income for farmers.
Newer news items:
- Vietnam becomes second largest exporter of lychees - 24/06/2019 04:37
- China tightens import standards for Vietnamese fruits - 24/06/2019 04:05
- Vietnam farmers enjoy lychee export price surge - 24/06/2019 03:57
- Vegetable exports hit US$3.5 billion in 11 months - 25/12/2018 09:32
- Vietnam spends US$1.57 billion on fruit, vegetables in 11 months - 25/12/2018 09:26
Older news items:
- VietGAP farming standards help improve orange cultivation in Ha Giang - 25/12/2018 09:09
- Tangerine variety in Hoa Binh granted collective trademark - 25/12/2018 09:01
- VN fruits need to gain domestic market before exporting - 11/10/2018 08:21
- Binh Thuan dragon fruit promoted in India - 11/10/2018 08:17
- Vietnam earns US$3.1 billion from fruit and vegetable exports - 11/10/2018 08:14