Visitors at Hưng Yên’s Longan Festival 2018. - Photo VNA
Viet Nam News HƯNG YÊN — The Red River delta province of Hưng Yên opened the Longan Festival 2018 on Saturday to honour the provincial specialty product.
The festival, the second of its kind, hosted more than 50 pavilions which showcased the fruit. Cultivators estimated that this year’s output will be 30 per cent higher than last year’s, but the price will remain stable thanks to the fruit’s quality.
Speaking at the event, Deputy Chairman of the provincial People’s Committee Nguyễn Minh Quang said this year’s festival is larger compared to last year and give consumers more accurate information about longan from the province.
Director of the provincial Department of Agriculture and Rural Development Nguyễn Văn Doanh said many co-operatives and production teams cultivating longan on a large scale have been established in Khoái Châu, Kim Động and Tiên Lữ District and Hưng Yên City, forming a specialised cultivation area.
The trees are cultivated to ensure the food safety and origin traceability, he said.
As for the sale of longan, Director of the provincial Department of Industry and Trade Nguyễn Văn Thơ said the department had held trade promotion activities to popularise the product among localities inside the country.
Besides, the department has also invited businesses from China and South Korea to the province to sign contracts. So far, nearly 100 contracts have been signed for nearly 3,000 tonnes of longan to be sold at supermarkets like Big C, Hapro and Fivimart. Importers from the US, China, Japan and South Korea have also agreed to buy the fruit.
Newer news items:
- Financial support for farmers - 11/10/2018 08:11
- Lam Dong exports Laba banana to Japan - 17/09/2018 08:30
- Hung Yen longan farmers see bumper crop at good prices - 17/09/2018 08:24
- More organic products needed to boost agro exports to EU - 15/08/2018 03:31
- Tiền Giang to expand dragon fruit growing area - 15/08/2018 03:24
Older news items:
- Lychee export value increases 126 per cent this year - 15/08/2018 03:14
- PM visits high-tech farm in Lâm Đồng - 31/07/2018 08:49
- Vietnam still fumbles for way to bring fruit to global market - 23/07/2018 08:32
- First ’Sơn La Longan and Safe Farm Produce Week’ kicks off at Big C Hanoi - 23/07/2018 07:56
- Vietnamese lychees welcomed in Malaysia - 11/07/2018 09:35